Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Confession

So, here it is. I am a former teacher. Education is my thing. I love learning and teaching and because of that I should embrace everything that goes with it. So why does my stomach literally churn when the kids bring home big projects?
And so it was, last week, Jake came home all excited about the 4th Grade Invention Convention. Jake had several ideas he was toying with for the convention. A time travel machine. A baseball embedded with an electronic device that could measure how far a ball was hit. A waterproof laptop bag. A gadget that could control people's minds. I thought it might be a good idea to invent a device that would make his mom love school projects.

We settled on this invention instead:

Springo-Shoes

They help you jump higher and get those hard-to-reach things on the top shelf.

Okay, not the most original idea, but certainly do-able. Happily we finished the project a day ahead of schedule and I can cannot tell you the glee that consumed me when it was done! Now we just have to figure out how to get the springs out of his shoes so he can wear them again - ha! (Jake actually loathes these shoes even more than I loathe school projects, so I think getting new ones will be just fine with him!)
And I have to admit, I was really impressed with Jake on this. He really thought it through. He typed most of it out and did some pretty cool graphics for his display board. And it was fun to work together as a family to create this super fantastic invention. And even though this might not be my favorite thing to do, at the end of the day, hey, I have my dream job! I count it an honor to be the mom of the 3 most spectacular kids in the entire universe!

10 comments:

Family of Disney said...

Cool.. don't forget to check his scout book to see if this completes something for him!

nikki said...

I like your confession - I don't love projects either! He looks like a serious 4th grade worker bee going to town on those shoes he hates.

You do have the best job on the planet and the best kids...except for mine, of course.

Lynnette said...

Very fun! I have not as of yet had any huge projects like this to take part in. I'm sure it will come, and I will think of you! Good luck getting the springs out.

jewly said...

Cool school project! You both did a great job.

Ashley Smith said...

I'm with you! I hate doing school projects and I only have to deal with the small ones they have in preschool!
Jake is so smart! What a great idea to come up with! You guys should enroll him in space camp during the summer. My cousins were a lot like him and LOVED it.

Unknown said...

Cool school project!! I liked to see how high he can jump with those shoes. :)

Sarah said...

I always need a little help getting things from the top shelf. What a great idea!

Elder Tyler Mumford said...

I don't love school projects, either. Infact I HATE them! :)

We have science projects to do this weekend. Do you want to come help? :) I loved Jake's project! You two are so creative!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

What a cool project...so did it work? Can he reach things on the top shelf? A++! Thanks for your very helpful comment! We will definitly try out those suggestions! That website is http://thewritestart.typepad.com/the_write_start/

kaleyq said...

What a smarty pants! And so darn handsome as he is concentrating so hard! We want to see the shoes on our next visit! But I feel your pain--just finished yet another required Science Fair project--3 down, 17 to go! However, the pros far outweigh the cons to the job! Love you guys!