Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fathers and Sons and then some...




Okay, so I sent Jer with our camera to Father and Sons and this is a sample of what pictures came home. Thanks, Jake, for taking care of the photos for me. Glad to see you and Dad bonding together and having a great time.


They did have a midnight adventure that I must write about. Jer was in charge of the campout this year and he did an awesome job. He had everything organized, did all the shopping, and I didn't lift a finger. When he was all packed up, we went through our mental list of everything he needed and after we were sure he remembered everything, he left. At 2:00 a.m. Jer woke up to realize he had forgotten the pancake mix! (His wife, attempting to be tidy, had taken it off the counter where he surely would have seen and remembered it and put it in the pantry. Oops!) So he woke up Jake and they set out on the 45 minute drive to get pancake mix. On their way, they happened up on a car on the side of the road with hazards blinking and a young couple frantically waving their arms. Now, my husband would never think of putting himself, much less his son, in a dangerous situation, so he naturally passed them by, sending many happy thoughts their way. But then something made him turn around. This young couple with 2 small kids had run out of gas as a result of an unexpected detour. They were freezing ( I think the temp dipped down to the 20's) and were in desperate need of help. So in addition to pancake mix, Jer ended up getting a few gallons of gas! This was quite the story to digest on many levels, but ultimately, isn't it amazing to reflect how when things go wrong they often end up being just right? And it was great for me to recognize as I have so many times in my life that the Lord definitely answers prayers in unexpected ways.



My guys also brought home a treat for me. Three fish! (I was secretly hoping for take out, and yep, that's just what I had in mind!) So after Jer unpacked and cleaned everything up (8:00 p.m.), he threw those babies on the grill. (Thank you Russ for cleaning them out for us!) Bree and Jer gobbled up Jake's catches, but Jake was a little miffed at the whole bone thing, so in the end, he tried a bite and declared himself 'full'. Jer says I am writing an extremely edited version of what actually happened. I must have blocked it all out. I'll leave what really happened up to your imagination.

3 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

Great pictures Jake!

nikki said...

Yeah, that's kind of the face I make when I eat fish too.

I love your Jeromy's fathers and sons adventure story. Aren't you so glad you have a churchy husband?!

Mindi said...

WHat a great adventure. I can't wait for my boys to go to father and sons... what will I do with myself? Sleep and shop, and definitely eat lots of food so I don't have to worry about being served some stinky old fish. I'm with Jake!